What do I need to do?

Starting Out

It all may seem very confusing just to drive a big vehicle. With all the tests and the meaning of lots of different things can seem quite complicated but in fact, it’s really simple once it’s broken it down into small pieces.

So here goes …

Whether you want to drive a bus, minibus, a big or small lorry, what you have to do is more or less the same.

How do I get an LGV/PCV licence?

  • You need to apply for the provisional entitlement from the DVLA in the same way as you did for your car but this time it would be for LGV (Large Goods Vehicle) or PCV (Passenger Carry Vehicle) By ringing NDC we will send you all the information and forms that you will need. 020 8688 4666.
  • NDC has partnered with D4Drivers, the number one supplier of D4 medicals in the UK. They provide a cost-effective and convenient service for professional drivers in the UK, with an established network of over 100 locations nationwide which provide over 10,000 medicals every month.You will need a medical for the application. Getting the medical from your GP/Doctor’s surgery can cost up to £150.00. However, through our partnership with D4Drivers if you use the code ‘NDC50’ on the link below you will get a medical completed in your local area for just £50!
  • Fill out the DVLA D2 licence application form and tick all categories C and D (lorry and bus) even if you only want the one category, do the other one because in the future if you change your mind, it will save you money and time as you now have all the provisional categories on your licence.
  • Send all the forms off with your licence to the DVLA. Remember you will need a ‘large class stamp’.
  • When your licence comes back you are now allowed to drive your choice of vehicle as a learner.

Call NDC for a driving assessment in the vehicle of your choice. This is FREE as we believe that you should meet us and we can meet you. We can assess your current driving ability to ensure that you choose the right course.


There are numerous theory and practical tests to take which may all seem confusing but in fact, it is straightforward. So let’s start at the beginning.

All tests are called Modules

Theory tests

Module 1
  • The Multiple Choice Test for the category of vehicle you want to drive. The same as your car test but for a PCV Bus or LGV Lorry.
  • You need to score a minimum 85/100 to pass. Don’t worry, the DVSA supply a study book with the questions and answers in!
  • Hazard Perception test where you watch 19 clips of developing hazards and have to click on them when you see that hazard developing and score a minimum of 67/100. It’s exactly the same as your car test.
  • Practice DVD’s are available.
Module 2
  • Case studies are where you read a passage relating to either a bus or a lorry and answer questions on it. Again, straightforward enough. Study book is available! 40/50 is the pass mark.
Module 3

Practical driving test

  • This is your LGV/PCV practical driving test. It is conducted more or less in the same way as your car test but in the vehicle of your choice and lasts just over an hour.
  • You have a small theory test at the beginning. It is called ‘Tell me, show me’ and is the same as your car test but again relates to the vehicle you are testing in.

The reversing exercise where you reverse into a coned area called ‘the garage’. Pretty simple.

  • The practical drive and like your car test, you are not allowed any more than 15 driver faults and no serious or dangerous faults in order to pass.
  • If you are testing with a vehicle with a trailer you will have to do the ‘trailer drop’ which is how to hitch and unhitch.
Module 4 CPC
Practical Demonstration Test
  • This test lasts about 30 – 40 minutes with an overall pass mark of 80% with no less than 10% in each category. The examiner will ask you questions about your vehicle, procedures and the general condition of it. It is no more than an in-depth ‘Tell me, show me’. Again, not a difficult one to pass. You are taught everything you need to know while you are with us on your course with ample training aids.

Module 2 and 4 are called the Initial CPC which gives you the CPC Drivers Qualification Card.

  • You must have these two tests passed if you wish to drive commercially. There are a few exceptions (scaffolders, paramedics and teachers to name a few) but generally you would need to have this if you want to earn money for driving.

That’s about it!

Lots of others have done it, so why not you?

You will need to have a ‘LGV PCV Driver’s medical. The best way to get one is to search online for ‘LGV PCV medicals’ and choose a company and location that suits you. These doctors do the same as your local GP but at half the cost or less.

Here will you will find out things you wouldn’t necessarily think of before booking your course.

                   All your questions big or small are answered here.

"Test where you train"

NDC is a unique Driver Training Company